The Juvenile Center is designed to provide short-term, secure, residential placement.
The purpose of the Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center is to provide a secure residential facility for juveniles. The Center is owned and operated by the Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center Commission for the counties of Augusta, Rockbridge, and Rockingham, and the cities of Harrisonburg, Lexington, Staunton, and Waynesboro.
Priority for placement will be given to children from those jurisdictions who are participating members of the Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Detention Commission. Placement will be given to children from non-participating members or agencies on a space available or contracted basis.
The Center serves annually 400 children, both males and females, with an approximate average daily population of 46. The children’s ages range from 10 – 17.
The mission of the Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center is to protect and strengthen our community through providing a safe, healthy, and secure learning environment to rehabilitate and integrate our youth back into the community while holding them accountable for their actions.
- To provide safe physical care which fosters growth and minimizes the damaging effects of detention or placement.
- To provide a constructive and satisfying program of indoor and outdoor activities, including educational and creative pursuits.
- To provide staff-guided group discussions adapted to the special needs of residents.
- To provide guidance through casework and group work to handle problems within the juvenile center and to help the residents use their experience to understand themselves and better prepare themselves to handle future problems after they leave the center.
- Twenty-four hour supervision
- On-site nursing care
- Limited on-site Physician care
- Facility provided meals
- Facility issued clothing
- Supervised family visitation
- Supervised recreation program
- Intake Assessments
- Mental Health Crisis Intervention
- On-site education - GED preparation and testing
- Virginia licensed teachers
- Drug Screening
- Community Service Opportunities
- Psychiatric Evaluations
Shenandoah Valley Juvenile Center is an equal opportunity provider and employer.